Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DIY Upholstered Headboard

Our lovely finished headboard
 
 
Ever since we moved into the new house, I have been searching for the perfect headboard. I have filed through online stores, bargain stores (TJ maxx, Ross) and even high end stores, just to dream a little. Scrolling through Restoration Hardware, I fell in love with this Gem! I knew Bryan would never agree to pay that amount for a bed, $1700 is a little steep for our price range :)
 
So, on to plan B, I started researching ways to make my own. On top of researching, I Googled tutorials about "how to" do it. It was coming off a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, I was definitely sold on the idea! Scrolling, and scrolling, and some more scrolling through Pinterest, I came across this beautiful Headboard. Sarah's design for her tufted-wingback headboard was perfect! A lot of my inspiration came from Sarah M. Dorsey and Restoration Hardware.

 In my vision, I wanted our headboard to be a little taller than some of the normal sized headboards. I also wanted it to be a little wider for my massive amount of pillows I'm "collecting". We left the measurements just wide enough for the frame to fit in between the arms of the headboard and wide enough for the 3 large white pillows :) With A LOT of help from the husband, here is how we made our headboard...
 
Supplies- For a Queen Size
 
1- 63" x 48" (1/2" plywood)
2- 1 x 4's
2- 1 x 6's
2- 2 x 6's 
Box of 4" screws
5 yards of fabric                    
Batting to cover the main piece and arms
28- 7/8" Aluminum Cover Buttons 
1" Foam to cover the plywood (took 2 of these)
Long Upholstering needle
Upholstering Thread
Spray Adhesive
Staple Gun and Staples
 
Plans for the Headboard:
Inspiration also from Sarah, my measurements are just a little different
 
Measurements for the entire headboard.                      

 
 
Braces for the backside 1/4's
 
 
Fabric Measurements
 
Button Hole Measurements
 
 
First Bryan cut the plywood to size 63" x 48"

 Then we cut the 1/4's to size, to frame the backside of the plywood


After framing out the plywood we screwed them into place



Colt decided to help Daddy measure out the holes to drill for the buttons
*Measurements above

Marks for the holes
 


Colt helping Daddy drill the holes
 
Bryan (and Colt) went ahead and put the arms together. Taking a 1 x 6 and a 2 x 6, he sandwiched them together with screws. *we will cover and attach these later
 
Now my turn, here I already attached the foam to the plywood. I laid it right side down on top of the fabric and batting.*Serrated knives are great for cutting foam :)
 

I then made my way around and stapled the batting and fabric to the plywood.
 

I cut out the template on the back of the button packaging and traced the 28 circles for the buttons. Some of the buttons needed a little glue, since these aren't heavy duty buttons.
 
While Bryan took a little break and watched TV, I threaded the buttons and threaded them though the holes. I didn't get a picture of how I threaded the buttons and I apologize :(. But I did double up the thread to make it stronger. When I started the Tufting, I started in the middle and enlisted Bryan's help again. As I pushed on the buttons from my side, Bryan pulled and stapled from the back side.     *(arrows) Don't forget to push those stray threads behind the buttons, don't cut them.
 

Here's a look at how he stapled the thread, doubling back a couple times.

 


Next, we took the fabric for the arms and laid it right side down, stapling it on the underside of the plywood. Then we brought in the arms (The 1 x 6 and 2 x 6) for each side. Bryan then screwed them into the side of the headboard, screwing into the 1 x 4's that braced the back. His job is now done :) Once the arms are attached it was my turn to finish covering the arms. Eeeek, almost done! It took me several tries to get the folds just the way I wanted, but it all worked.
 
 

Here's a look at how I folded the edges to make a smooth continuous front on the arms. I admit, it was a little tough for me. Practice makes perfect!
 
She's complete! *At the arrow you can seethe fabric folded over from the arm. We also had a little bit of fabric left over, but incorporated it into my mantle design. (coming soon)
 
A look at how it fits around the frame and mattress.
 
Here she is!!!

Bryan just had one more job and that was to help me put this baby into place! I was so excited to sleep in our bed that night and wake up to our beautiful headboard. Now all I need, is to finish my pillow collection and find the perfect white duvet. We hope ya'll enjoy our project, as much as we did. If you have any questions, just ask :) We would love to chat!
 
New Pillows!
New pillows from TJ maxx :)
 
Until next time...
Ciao!

 
 
 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment